Friday 28 March 2014

Growing cactus from seed


There were cactus seeds available in the garden shops sometimes. One package with picture of blooming gymnocalyciums on it especially attracked my attention, then I was given more seeds of different varieties. I sowed them all. There was still frosty outside to get a bit of sand to be added into compost at that march. But my fingers itched, I used peat based compost and seeds were easy varieties, so there were no problems with them to spring.


It was so interesting to watch them changing from berry-looking seedlings into differently shaped hedgehogs! Many of them got new homes. No one seedling was lost.

 
These are my already 2 years old youngsters:

Astrophytum crassipinoides x5
Astrophytum myriostigma x4
Echinocactus parryi x4
Mammillaria candida x3

No comments:

Post a Comment